Weald Park EAL & SWELL
Sun 28th Nov 2021
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Leagues: SWELL, EAL
Nearest town: Brentwood
- Grid Ref: TQ569940
- Postcode: CM14 5QS
- Latitude: 51.62399
- Longitude: 0.26498
- Google Map (aerial)
- Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
One mile from M25 J28/A12 junction at the main visitor centre car park, off Weald Road, postcode CM14 5QS. Essex County Council car parking tiered charge of £2.20 for 1 hr, £3.30 for 2 hrs, £4.40 for 3 hrs, "pay & display" payment by coins, credit card, or via the MiPermit portal page https://secure.mipermit.com/essexcountryparks/Application/home.aspx). The car park charges go towards maintaining and improving the park and visitor facilities.
From the M25 junction 28, follow the A1023 towards Brentwood. After 500m turn left at the first traffic lights onto Wigley Bush lane. Proceed 1km to South Weald village and turn left onto Weald Road. Turn right after 400m into the Visitor Centre car park Park. (Note; later arrivals may be directed into the nearby Belvedere car park, which is the same distance from the Start & Finish)
Toilets and visitor centre with light refreshments, adjacent to car park
Other attractions: Lake with wildfowl, a deer enclosure and a picnic area. Stick Man play trail for the young and young at heart.
OCAD map of the former grounds of the Weald estate with recent updates, 1:10,000 scale. Terrain is gently contoured and comprises undulating mature woodland, a deer park, lakes, landscaped open and rough open areas.
Map drawn to ISOM 2017-2 standard with the following special symbols:
black X = park bench;
black O = vent or play equipment;
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 10.30 am to 12.30 pm. Courses close at 2:30 pm.
Start and Finish are 500m from the car park following taped routes across open parkland.
Standard colour coded courses:
White & Yellow have written descriptions. All other courses have pictorial descriptions. Loose descriptions will be available at the Start.
SIAC will be enabled. However, all Competitors will need to punch the Check, Start and Finish controls.
HAVOC Weald Park Regional Orienteering Event 28th November 2021: Final Course Details and Related EA League Classes
|Course||Length||Climb||Controls||EA League Classes|
|Short Green||3.7km||105m||15||M75, M80, M85||W65, W70, W75, W80, W85|
|Green||4.6km||140m||19||M65, M70||W16, W18, W20, W45, W50, W55, W60|
|Blue||6.9km||170m||21||M16, M55, M60||W35, W40|
|Short Brown||7.9km||205m||26||M18, M20, M45, M50||W21|
|Brown||9.6km||235m||27||M21, M35, M40|
Competitors should maintain social distancing at all times, and should not attend if they are unwell, or have recently tested positive for Covid.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entries in advance only, via Fabian4. No EOD entries. Competitors will be asked to select a 15 minute start window.
Entry Fees -
For entries up to Monday, November 15 - Seniors £9 ( £11 for non- BOF members), Juniors £4, SI dibber hire (non SIAC) £1.
For entries post November 15 - Seniors £11 ( £13 for non- BOF members), Juniors £4, SI dibber hire (non SIAC) £1.
Entries close on Friday, November 26.
Hired dibbers (non SIAC) will be available for collection at the Enquiries / Download Tent, at the Eastern corner of the car park.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Andrew Welsh (HAVOC)
Organiser: Colin Jackson (HAVOC)
Controller: Paul Beckett (HAVOC)
Dogs are allowed, but should be kept on a lead at all times, and not interfere with other competitors / park users.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.