Thorndon South SWELL
Herongate, Brentwood Essex
Sun 29th Sep 2019
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Leagues: SWELL, ESSOL
This event incorporates the first round of the 2019/20 SWELL (South & West Essex Local League) season.
The event is open to all orienteers and suitable for newcomers.
Nearest town: Brentwood
- Grid Ref: TQ634898
- Postcode: CM13 3LH
- Latitude: 51.58432
- Longitude: 0.35531
- Google Map (aerial)
- Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
From the M25 J29 junction: Take the A127 east for 3 miles. Turn north at the A127/A128 junction towards Brentwood; after a quarter mile turn left into the country park indicated by a brown and white tourist sign. (OS Grid Reference TQ 634898 Postcode CM13 3LH)
The car park is hard standing or on well drained grass areas. There is a tiered Essex County Council "Pay and Display" charge: upto 1hr £2.20; 2hrs £3.30; 3hrs £4.40 or over 3hrs £5.50 (coins and cards accepted), you will need to enter your car registration number before paying.
Public Transport:The nearest railway station is at West Horndon, 3 km to the south: half-hourly service from Fenchurch Street. There are no local bus services on a Sunday.
Event registration will be next to the car park.
Toilets adjacent to the west end of the car park; unfortunately the cafe is currently closed.
Start and Finish within 200-300m of the car park.
Other attractions: Lake with wildfowl and a barbecue area.
Thorndon Park South is a compact mixture of gently sloping established and re-planted woodland, streams and a lake, open meadows and pasture fields, with some steeper slopes and contour detail
Registration & Start Times
Registration 10:00 am to 12 noon.
Starts 10:15am to 12:30 pm.
Courses close 2.30 pm.
A range of colour coded courses, White to Blue. There is a Light Green but no Short Green as the area has insufficient detail to support the more technical course. Provisional course information
|WHITE||Easy - Junior beginners|
|YELLOW||Fairly easy - Junior improvers, adult beginners|
|ORANGE||Moderate - competent juniors; adult improvers|
|LIGHT GREEN||Fairly hard - experienced juniors; competent adults|
Courses will be suitable for beginners, improvers and experienced orienteers. Help and coaching will be available for beginners/improvers (please ask at Registration). Maps will be overprinted on waterproof paper. Loose control descriptions will be available from Registration.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors £7 (£2 surcharge for non-British Orienteering members.)
Electronic punching will be used at this event – SI ‘dibber’ hire fee 50p.
Pairs and groups pay one senior fee only but should take only one map.
Contacts / Officials
Not permitted on the courses because of livestock. Dog exercise circuit around the grass field south of the car park.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.