HAVOC/SOS Mid-Week-Orienteering Series 2021
Event 4 HAVOC – Brentwood South
Tue 18th May 2021
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Urban
This event is Nr 4 in the 8 event HAVOC/SOS Mid-Week O’ League. Points will be awarded based on finishing times adjusted using an age/gender handicap system. Each missed or incorrect control will incur a 5 minutes penalty. Best 6 results from the series will count. 50 bonus points added for undertaking any one of the Essex MapRuns - just confirm run to Coordinator. Full results will be emailed and published on the SOS and HAVOC websites.
Nearest town: Brentwood
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: CM14 5GB
- Latitude: 51.60767
- Longitude: 0.29672
- Google Map (aerial)
- Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Public car park managed by Brentwood Borough Council. Parking is free for up to 4 hours. Park at the less busy NW end of the car park. Organiser’s car/admin table; Start and Finish will be nearby.
Registration & Start Times
Start at times between 6.00pm and 7.00pm as confirmed by Event Coordinator. Please arrive and be ready for your agreed start time. Competitors must report to the finish by 8.30pm.
Long Course about 5.5km. Short Course about 3km.
These are direct distances between controls subject to final controlling. OOMap scale 1:10,000.
Controls are fire hydrant ‘H’signs. You will be asked to record the lower number on the hydrant sign.
Please bring a pen or pencil to mark the control card and a map bag if it is wet.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
By email to the Series Coordinator for HAVOC events
You will need to provide the following information in your email:
Short or Long Course
Gender/Age Category (if unsure about age category just state your age this year)
Club (and BOF no. if applicable)
Preferred start time slot 6:00 – 6:15, 6:15 – 6:30, 6:30 – 6:45, or 6:45 – 7:00 (not guaranteed)
Amount paid £3 Seniors, £1.50 under 21 or students for just one event, or,
Confirm £10 paid for all 4 SOS events and/or £10 paid for all 4 HAVOC events
Contact Tel No. – solely for the purpose of the Government’s Track and Trace system
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.