Epping Forest South West - EAL & SWELL
EAL ,SWELL (2018/19)
Sun 18th Nov 2018
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Forest
Leagues: SWELL, EAL
Nearest town: Chingford
- Grid Ref: TQ393950
- Postcode: E4 7QJ
- Latitude: 51.63719
- Longitude: 0.01657
- Google Map (aerial)
- Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Free car parking.
Car park is on Chingford Plain, near Chingford, Essex. TQ393950 (nearest postcode E4 7QJ). This is on the east side of Bury Road about 250m north of the juction with Rangers Road (A1069).
From M25 Junction 26: Follow the A121 east to the Wake Arms/City Limits roundabout; take the 4th exit (A104) & continue for about 2 miles to the Robin Hood roundabout; go straight on & after 1 mile turn right into Rangers Road (A1069) signposted Chingford. After 1 mile, turn right onto Bury Road, the car park is on the right.
From A406 North Circular: At the Waterworks Corner roundabout, take the A104 north through Woodford Green; after 3 miles turn left into Rangers Road (A1069 signposted Chingford. After 1 mile, turn right onto Bury Road, the car park is on the right.
Public toilets available, after 10am, in the courtyard behind The View visitor centre (next to the Queen Elizabeth Hunting Lodge) - there is a small car opposite. From the event car park, walk up the hill towards the start but continue up passing the electrical sub-station, go through the low gate then between the deer sculptures. There should be an open door on the right leading into the courtyard, the unisex toilets are opposite. Alternatively, for those approaching from the north, e.g. M25 J26, there are public toilets (and free parking) in High Beach near the King’s Oak public house, Nursery Road, IG10 4AE (TQ411981)
There is a unisex toilet at Chingford station for ticket holders.
The View and Queen Elizabeth Hunting Lodge are open to the public at 10am and have free entry. Refreshments available at the Butlers Retreat in the same complex
Map is A4 at 1:10,000 scale, 2018 updates. There is no legend on the maps (standard IOF symbols used). Courses will be overprinted on waterproof paper or be bagged.
Over the years, with successive thinning of parts, the area has become more runnable, probably more so than the map indicates. There are a number of horse rides across the area and a network of small paths.
Registration & Start Times
Registration - EOD 10:00 am to 12:00 noon.
Starts 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Courses close 2:30 pm
Standard colour coded courses; approximate course lengths shown:
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
BOF members - Seniors £7 Juniors £3.
Groups/families as per seniors.
Non-member - Seniors or Groups add £2.
Electronic punching (SI) will be used – SI ‘dibber’ hire fee 50p
Fees include levies and land access charges. Free car parking.
Contacts / Officials
Dogs welcome if on leads at all times.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.